Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Rolling Stone Provides Something Worthwhile

Before you get over the shock of that headline, it's worth noting that I subscribed to Rolling Stone for at least 15 years, and I've never once sued Jann Wenner for the money I wasted on at least three years worth of issues. I cancelled the subscription around the time they decided to make their articles shorter and fast food like. What Wenner has since failed to realize is that we all read the magazine because the articles were actually LONGER and contained substance. It isn't that magazines like Maxim and Blender proved that the world now had short attention spans. People will spend HOURS on things they like (take the next two hours on the can to read this old interview they did years ago with Johnny Carson).

So it's only fitting that the first thing RS has put out that's caught my interest of late comes from their website, and it's worth 30-minutes of your life, if only to prove that David Chase is the Quentin Tarantino of TV when it comes to selecting music to go with his pictures. This link includes an interview with Chase about his musical choices on The Sopranos, as well as music clips with commentary from Chase himself about why he picked certain songs. Good stuff, but I'm still not going to renew my subscription.

No comments: